Testing Skincare Products

Ah, I fondly look back on the days when Ivory soap and a little Stridex were all I needed. I could pull an all-nighter, dehydrate myself within an inch of my life, and my skin still looked fresh and taut the following day.

Those days are long gone. Now as a makeup artist, I'm this close to faces of all ages. I've been doing a lot of work on models, the oldest being 30. I can truly see the difference in their skin even in subjects spaced by as little as 5 years. If the model smokes, I can see it in her skin. If she takes care of herself, I can see that, too.

So what is taking care of yourself? We've heard it all: Stay out of the sun, wear sunblock, eat healthfully. The list goes on. Genetics, sadly for some, really do play a role. Yes, I once had a panic attack after looking at former classmates' images on Facebook. I ran out and bought 3 skincare products. Three. What were they? Roc retinol, a sleeping mask by L'Oreal; and CeraVe moisturizer for night. Now I'm eager to try the beauty brand Beauty Pie, a brainchild of Marcia Kilgore that enlists top cosmetic chemists to create high-quality skincare and makeup at staggeringly low prices (think $8-$10 for members).

What has worked for me over the years, on clients and on myself? More and more, I'm sticking to the basics: I believe firmly in retinol products, stabilized vitamin C, sunblock, prayer (ok, kidding on the last one...somewhat). I even read a study recently that claimed positive people age visibly better than negative people. Ah, how the mind tattles on our faces.

So here's the timestamp: April 10, 2018. I'm continuing with Roc skincare, but I'm exploring other brands to see how they stack up. Image below was taken last week (no retouching but, yes, makeup).  My main concerns are fine lines around the eyes, nasolabial folds, and a persistent wrinkle below my left lip (yep, I sleep on that side of my face).

So in 8 weeks, I will report back with an updated image.




Comments

Popular Posts